Foundation / Corporation
Farmer Veteran Coalition - Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund
Awards ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 to USA individual veteran members for financial assistance in continuing a career in farming and agriculture. Funding is intended for veterans with an agricultural business already in operation. Applicants must have a desire to continue to serve others and make a positive impact on the farmer veteran community.
The Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund is a small grant program that provides direct assistance to veterans who are in their beginning years of farming or ranching. The Fellowship Fund does not give money directly to the veteran, but rather to third-party vendors for items the veteran has identified will make a crucial difference in the launch of their farm business.
Some of the most common purchases include:
- All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV)
- Beekeeping equipment
- Breeding livestock
- Bulk feed
- Storage freezers
- Tractor implements
- Walk-behind tractors
Each applicant will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Farm training/experience and/or transferable skills.
- Personal investment in their farm business.
- Strategic funding request that will help the business grow in the long term.
- Vision and goals for the future of thire business.
- Community involvement.
GrantWatch ID#: 167041
Awards range from $1,000 to $5,000.
Farmer veterans who are selected as Fellowship recipients have six months to use their award.
- Veterans of any branch of the U.S. Military from all service eras–including those currently serving
- Must be a member of Farmer Veteran Coalition. Join here: https://fvc.secure.force.com/auth/
- Those who received a characterization of service of ‘Honorable’ upon discharge
- Must have an agricultural business in operation and a functional business plan
- Must be willing to fully participate in the Fellowship Program, which includes periodic progress reports, mentoring other farmer veterans and a desire to make a positive impact on the farmer veteran community
Currently serving service members must provide a letter of support from their commanding officer or designated representative attesting to their characterization of service.
The application for the Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund opens once per year, at which time eligible veterans are given no less than four weeks to submit a fully completed application. For the 2018 award cycle, the application will open February 1, 2018, and close March 1 at 5 p.m. PT.
Once the application period ends, an advisory panel of agricultural industry professionals convenes to review submissions. The application review process can take up to two months with awardees usually being notified in the Spring.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Rachel Petitt, Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund Manager
Online contact form:
Farmer Veteran Coalition
4614 2nd Street, Suite 4
Davis, CA 95618
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming